Friday 20 September 2013

More touring with William Morris

Today has been a spectacular day full of so many highlights but with one extra incredible moment which is at the end of this post. First we visited what I think is one of the highlights of the tour - Kelmscott Manor........
 Jane Morris is often looking over us - this pencil drawing was done by Rossetti when Jane was only 17 and a copy hangs in the cafe.....







 So exciting to see both my books stocked in the Kelmscott shop.........
 And Vicki found them as well.............

 We had a lovely lunch in the village at the 'Plough' and then visited the church and Morris's grave.......



 A visit to the Cotswolds Woollen Weavers' is always very tempting but I can't believe Robyn left this hat behind! It was just made for her but she did take the jacket..........
We were warmly welcomed at the Gordon Russell design Museum where there was a special textile exhibition including William Morris pieces. Included was this old embroidery stitched by Lily Yeates which was actually for sale.... but Larry didn't part with the 15,000 pounds required!! Lily was trained by May Morris (William's daughter), and had some part in the embroidered bed cover at Kelmscott Manor - you can read more on the link.........






The other big highlight of the day was visiting Broadway Tower where Morris liked to spend weekends with friends. We try to keep this as a secret surprise for the group as it is not on the itinerary, but of course with my blogging some people already know! 
 This is waiting for us at the top of the tower.........






 Jane watching over us again............
 This year we had an added bonus as the Tower now has a wonderful cafe just down the hill - so this is where we had dinner and a much bigger surprise was still to come.............








And then came this biggest surprise of all! Now I try not to fill this blog with images of myself......but I do have to share these!  Helen had one extra surprise up her sleeve just for me. Larry recorded my reactions so you can just see how incredible it was........







This was all done behind my back and with Larry's approval!......it is in fact an original piece of Morris & Co textile made into a cushion! Unlike me I was quite speechless and totally gobsmacked! It is a section of Morris's woven wool design Peacock and Dragon which is one of my very favourites. And this is where it came from: Anthony Hazledine Antiques. I wrapped myself in this very curtain design in the cafe at Kelmscott last year and now I have my very own little piece of original Morris textile to treasure forever......

I am still totally overwhelmed with Helen's generosity and she knows how much it will be treasured and admired - and I can touch it whenever I like!...thank-you dearest Helen xxxx


7 comments:

  1. Wish I was with you all again enjoying this tour with you. but I am enjoying reliving last year tour through your blog posts.
    Looks amazing ! hope Morris bed was back in his bedroom! :)
    Love to Helen.
    Jen xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. How marvelous for you have that pillow. Great gift and certainly a surprise. I am so enjoying the tour with you all. Margaret in Texas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic, a wonderful surprise for a special person. Am enjoying your tour. We are about to start the Pink weekend, and thankyou for your generous donation to this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful surprise, especially for you who would really appreciate it. Thanks for being so generous with all the photos of your trip.

    Love Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those gotcha moments!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the photographs of your reaction! What a treasure you have been gifted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful time you are having,I really will have to make a blouse from my blue Lodden fabric rather than a nightie! I love your cushion, and the photos of you receiving it, brought tears to my eyes, enjoy it. Ann in NZ,

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for dropping by and sharing in my journey. And thanks especially for your lovely comments….I may not always respond (especially if there is no email address) but please know you are appreciated x