Friday 10 May 2013

On the road again

We have just driven over 1300 kms since Wednesday arriving this afternoon in Canberra - our national capital. Some time ago I decided to reduce my teaching to a maximum of four events a year so this is the last of my "on the road teaching" that was booked well over 12 months ago. Over the next three and a bit weeks I have nine workshops which means meeting over 150 quilters! The drive was long but the weather just lovely - but we have heard on the news tonight that back home there has been extraordinary heat and bush-fires. So here is a little of our amazing country.........
Larry and I take it in turns to drive and when I'm not driving I get some appliqué cutting done!.....
 And here is a helpful hint.......with raw edge fusible appliqué you can inevitably get a long stem on the bias which 'flops' about and won't sit flat. I add a 'bar' from stem to stem and then iron down each side and trim the bar off to complete...works really well!
We passed a lot of these on the road.......here in Australia they are called "grey nomads" .....off having "SKI" holidays...."Spending the Kid's Inheritance"......
 I was also embarrassed that I didn't know of this World Heritage site - Willandra Lakes formed over the last 2 million years - amazing.

 I remember the care given to the trees in Balranald last time we were here.......

 As we drove into New South Wales we noticed a lot of 'white fluff' on the side of the road. To start with I thought it was wool but a quick stop and discovered it was in fact cotton....no safe place to really get a photo but it was the first time I had seen cotton growing in Australia.
There is a lot of 'nothing' in this great land of ours and of course great excitement when we come across stock being moved from paddock to paddock on the highway....




 Driving across the Hay plain is not terribly exciting but we always stop in the township of Hay. I love the architecture.....

Narrandera was an overnight stop and there are some beautiful old homes to see.

 My favourite house is still my favourite............
 And the typically Australian pub on the corner......
The trees are turning in colour as Autumn has finally arrived.....not as rich as we saw in Canada but still beautiful....



I love the drive into Canberra and along the way we stopped to see the Dog on the Tuckerbox at Gundagai. Great bit of Aussie folklore....


Tomorrow I have the great privilege of teaching for the Canberra Quilters for the next three days. Must say I am a little nervous but sure that will pass after a cuppa and chat! Thanks for dropping by - I will share more over the coming days xx

4 comments:

  1. The Canberra Quilters I have met are very nice peoples ... and good fun, so you will have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The photo's are beautiful. After driving across Australia myself (last year) I realized that you never know how beautiful this country is until you get out yourself and see all those great small towns and countryside. Hope you are having a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely to "travel" with you, hope you have a great time and look forward to catching up when you get back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the travelogue! I always enjoy those when they're offered.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for dropping by and sharing in my journey. And thanks especially for your lovely comments….I may not always respond (especially if there is no email address) but please know you are appreciated x