Tuesday 14 May 2013

Creative Canberra Quilters

So far we have travelled just over 2,000 kms and tonight we have 'landed' in Alexandra, a place we have never visited before. But first I must share some of my time in Canberra with members of Canberra Quilters. Of course those nerves were soon gone and I had a wonderful three days in great company. First two days we spent time exploring tile designs and with some encouragement some girls even attempted their own designs. The third day was spent hand stitching with felted wool....but the camera didn't get used....too much talking I suspect!
It was lovely to meet Sylvia a fellow blogger as well....might see you in the UK next year Sylvia?!! Larry enjoyed the days exploring our National capital and he managed a game of golf, a vist to the National Portrait Gallery, the National Gallery of Australia and the National Museum of Australia! Meanwhile I was thoroughly enjoying the company of fellow quilters and we all managed to have a great Mother's Day as well.



 A couple of girls kindly brought some show and tell from previous classes and a couple of gorgeous William Morris quilts....thanks so much for sharing girls xx


Canberra Quilters have their own premises in a community centre where they have a classroom complete with a long arm machine that members can hire.  There is a great resource library and I was elated to see our very own Quilters' Guild of SA newsletter for all to share.
Thanks everyone for inviting me and especially for performing the warm wave to my fellow members back home! (And sorry I didn't get photos of the 2nd workshop)
The drive today to Alexandra took just under 7 hours. The weather is changing and finally we saw some rain. A few scenes along the way of our beautiful country.......
 A chilly 10 degrees at 3pm..............

 We decided to check out somewhere for tea.......Larry checking the menu.......
 and the Commercial Hotel it was and we were not disappointed - they have the biggest range of Chicken Parmigiana's in Australia!
 There are a whopping 40 different topping choices and fun names too...........
I had a 'Nice Pear' which was pear, cinnamon and ricotta and Larry enjoyed a 'Sunrise' - bacon, avocado and semi dried tomato.......simply amazing!



We are settled in our cabin as I prepare for two more days of teaching at the Vickery Retreat. Meanwhile another bit of architectural quilt inspiration that I found tonight.......

3 comments:

  1. What fun! More travel eye candy. The quilts are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So lovely to meet you Michele and I would certainly love to come next year to the tour! I have put up a few pictures of the class on Monday. Thanks for a great day and for all the patterns and all the lovely samples. It was very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michele, thanks so much for a great three days - I've put a few pics on my blog. Regards,

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for dropping by and sharing in my journey. And thanks especially for your lovely comments….I may not always respond (especially if there is no email address) but please know you are appreciated x