Tuesday 21 May 2013

Loving Melbourne

Today we travelled from Geelong to Melbourne and then had a wonderful afternoon exploring this bustling city. Melbourne is a great place to visit - I love the vibe and there are so many photo opportunities. But first the workshop report from Geelong Quilters. Some more amazing William Morris quilt 'show and tell' - thank you once again girls for bringing them. Below is another amazing Morris Magic quilt......simply gorgeous and it was such a thrill to see many of the fabrics were from the Adelaide Collection of fabrics, and those borders worked so well......

 Lynette reduced the size of the Kelmscott quilt blocks and arranged them on point without those tricky bias scrolls.....just gorgeous.....

 At the end of our two days together I realised I completely forgot to take some class photos. Some of the girls had already left (sorry girls), so a quick pose from those who were still available! Thanks Geelong Quilters for inviting me xx
We thought we knew how to get to Essendon but of course we missed the turn off and all of a sudden the city was in front of us! Driving in Melbourne is not for the faint hearted when you are not used to it -  right hand turns are strange to us as you pull over to the extreme left and wait and then suddenly rush across to do the right hand turn - and all on the red light....very scary!! Our first visit was to the "hallowed ground" of Larry's football team......

 On the wall below are what must be thousands of names........
 The "Blue Believer" you can see is actually made up of all the names.......     

and there he was (he had to pay for that honour of course!).....
We decided to go for a walk to see some of the gorgeous houses nearby in Carlton North..........








Then we jumped on the famous Melbourne trams and headed to the beautiful sights in this fabulous cosmopolitan city........





 We decided to catch Evensong in the beautiful St Paul's Cathedral...........





When we came out the sun had set so it was wonderful to retrace our steps and see the same sights by night..........end of the work day workers rushing to the train station.........








Tomorrow I am spending the day with Essendon Quilters so for now I will leave you with a couple of photos that I captured tonight that I am so excited about - I must remember that twilight produces these gorgeous colours.....I am so thrilled with them (thankyou Mr Nikon!!).......

3 comments:

  1. Those wonderful photos! Loved the quilts, but it was Melbourne that captured my heart again. I was there in 1986 and loved my visit. I took a photo of the station which is just like yours. Back then I wasn't a quilter, but even then I did so admire the intricate iron work that you see everywhere! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos of quilts and Melbourne, those houses are beautiful. I just love wandering round that city with camera in hand. Did you visit Morris and Sons in Collins St. who sell William Morris tapestries? Am looking forward to your classes in Taupo in July. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michele,

    Wow, the design of those floor tiles from the cathedral have to make it into a quilt! Regards, Katrina x

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for dropping by and sharing in my journey. And thanks especially for your lovely comments….I may not always respond (especially if there is no email address) but please know you are appreciated x