Thursday 28 February 2013

You can draw!!

I am forever telling people that if I can design anyone can! I have never had a drawing lesson in my life but there are plenty of images out there that can inspire anyone! William Morris was certainly inspired by many old textiles and designs from old brocades to architecture. Owen Jones, a 19th century English architect wrote the Grammar of Ornament during the mid 1800's to inspire designers of all medium. It has a fantastic pictorial history of pattern from Byzantine through to Elizabethan time.
There are also 100's of books at the Dover design library and most are in the public domain as the copyright life has expired. That aside I do always draw my work free hand and never use a photocopier - that way I feel I have more ownership. So for the past two days some members of Queensland Quilters  tried their hand at designing. It would be so wonderful to come back in a few months to see the finished quilts (maybe??!!). So I would like to share some of their beautiful designs........











Thanks girls for coming and keep going.......it is very satisfying to say you designed you own work!

I did have a day to myself on Tuesday and dodged the rain in the city. The Brisbane river is quite murky from the debris of the floods but thankfully today the rain has stopped. There has been so much heartbreak in so many areas and I hope the levees they need are built soon - Gympie has flooded four times and still no government funding promised! These are just a few shots of my quick visit Tuesday.....Brisbane is known for its Signal Box Art ..........

Clever windows and you can see someone at their desk if you look carefully...........





I am staying with one of the Queensland Quilter's members who has been spoiling me far too much!! Check out the menu for the week!! Bev is so organised and she is enjoying trying some new recipes.........Harry thinks it's great too but I told him I was sorry he would be back to bangers and mash after Monday!!
Bev and Harry have some native "pets" as you can see below. They come each morning for a free feed! These are Eastern water dragons and are really quite wonderful - quite prehistoric especially their gait.......



But this fellow and the noisy bats are not really to my liking......
I hope you are safe and well wherever you are xx

2 comments:

  1. Wish someone would tell the Adelaide City Council to stop wasting their time and our money on redesigning the mall and just decorate the signal boxes and stobie poles...especially if it was designer Morris!
    Your design class output looked impressive, sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for dropping by and sharing in my journey. And thanks especially for your lovely comments….I may not always respond (especially if there is no email address) but please know you are appreciated x