I am not really sure where to start - I am constantly at a loss as to how government funding is prioritised.........the Arts never seem to get the same exposure as sport (especially football) and to lose someone of the calibre of Christopher is devastating. Not only his knowledge of Morris but also his committment to the Art Gallery of South Australia's collection and its value. It is hard to believe that this was our celebration 5 years ago.........(courtesy 'State of the Arts news')..........
Christopher Menz commences as Director of the Art Gallery of South Australia
Monday 7 February 2005
Christopher Menz today took up his new role as Director of the Art Gallery of South Australia. Mr Menz, who has worked previously as the Gallery's Curator of Decorative Arts (1989-2001) recently relocated to Adelaide from Melbourne where he was Senior Curator, Decorative Arts (International) at the National Gallery of Victoria.
"It's wonderful to be back in Adelaide and great to be working at this prestigious Gallery again" said Mr Menz whose first priorities this morning were meeting Gallery staff and becoming reacquainted with the Gallery itself. "There have been many exciting changes over the past few years and I look forward to building on the great work this Gallery does and presenting art to the enjoyment of all South Australians" he said.
One of his first projects will be to oversee the launch of the Gallery's upcoming major exhibition, Island to Empire: 300 Years of British Art which opens 11 March and is curated by the Gallery's former Director, Ron Radford. "It will be a tremendous start to a very exciting year at the Art Gallery of South Australia" promises Mr Menz.
I am lost for words at this moment..........more later