Sunday 20 March 2016

Home again

It is always so nice to come home. We left just after 8am this morning and 11 hours later we were unpacking the car. Unfortunately we had little sleep last night as we had a group of men sitting outside our motel window talking non stop. They were there at 4.30pm when we got back from the quilting event and they were still there at 1am! It could have perhaps been more interesting if they'd been speaking a language we could understand and it would have also been more pleasant if they hadn't been smoking! We did ask them several times if they could move elsewhere but to no avail, so at 1am Larry gave them their final marching orders! Then we had to listen to the very loud plumbing as each one of them had a 15 minute shower…….all three of them and in a country where water is so precious! So we are both very weary and tonight will be sheer bliss when our heads hit the pillow! Now to the big event….yesterday was International Quilters' Day and the Summer Gathering for Victorian Quilters  hosted by the Bacchus Marsh Friendship Quilters….and what better way to celebrate than with over 200 quilters…….

It is always moving to drive through the Avenue of Honour as you enter Bacchus Marsh……..

The venue was packed to the hilt and it was a great honour to have been asked to be guest speaker. Members of the Victorian Quilters committee were present and shared some great information to us all. My talk was all about our home and where I create my quilts giving a step by step presentation of how I create them from my very first sketches to the final stitch. And this time I didn't speak much of William Morris but more about Beatrix Potter! But it was so wonderful at Show and Tell to see so many William Morris inspired quilts either finished or in progress…..I am just so sorry I didn't have time to scribble down all your names……but thanks so much for bringing them along. I sincerely appreciate how long they can take and they were all so beautiful…….








Dot had made all these wonderful table centres of Morris fabric flowers and all made with knitting needles!…………..
Larry and I were spoilt with the most delicious lunch (and even leftovers for tea!), and of course one has to have some of the local produce that Bacchus Marsh is known for…………..
 I also received the most beautiful thank you gift from the group (and I think probably organised by someone who knows how I love ladybirds - thanks Dot x)! I now own some gorgeous new ladybird embroidery scissors (one can never have enough scissors!), and a fabulous little thread cutter that will be so useful while stitching on long flights……

 and the most gorgeous card…….
So my heartfelt thanks to all the Bacchus Marsh Friendship Quilters organising committee for putting on such a fabulous day and thanks so much for inviting Larry and I. Thanks also to everyone who came and especially for helping us to reduce the pile of May Morris books in the carport! A little over an hour on the road this morning and we were reminded of how far we still had to go………..
 Love to know the history of this lane……..

 not so sure about visiting this valley though……...

 Yeh………..

We had a wonderful lunch stop with our dear friend Jude and lunch with her is always fabulous as only a country lunch can be! ……..you can see on her blog all the baking she had produced in her wonderful new oven and brand new kitchen! It was also great to catch up with Pat, and a quick Hi to Jean and Brian too. Thankyou so much Judy for the fabulous lunch - especially the hot apple crumble…….and thanks for the photo too!
We are reminded constantly of how long journeys in Australia can be and especially on some of the very long and boring roads. So we are encouraged to rest with different versions of the same message……...






So once again we are home safe and sound and Larry has just reminded me that we've driven almost 1500 kms in just a few days! I will confess I also came home with some beautiful Japanese fabrics from Leanne of the Kimono House (and yes I think Japan has left an indelible mark on my creative thoughts!)…..and what a dear little fabric bird brooch……I just had to have it!
More news when I've caught up on some sleep.Take care wherever you are x

10 comments:

  1. that is a lot of driving - I just converted that and that is almost a thousand miles - and in just a couple days - you must be exhausted. The men in the next motel room over were very rude to be so noisy so late. But it looks like you had a good time - so nice that Larry goes along for these long drives and seems to enjoy himself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post Michele, lovely to have you visit as always, and looking at all those WM quilts, makes me think I better started on one of my own. Soon, I will be spending time sewing instead of renovating! I can see that balance happening!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry I missed your talk, I actually jet-setted to Adelaide for the weekend for an engagement party!! It was good to catch up with my family though and show off little Savannah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are home safe after your flying visit . Well worth it just for the show and tell

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed the story about your latest trip. It is obvious they all know that you love your birds!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so enjoy your blog - not only the quilting updates but also your photos of Australia and your travels. 4 years ago my family and I spent 4 weeks in Australia. We drove from Sydney to Melbourne along the coastal route and then drove back to Sydney along an interior route. It gave us views of Australian life and small towns that we never would have had otherwise. We never made it to Adelaide or Tasmania but that is for the next trip - meanwhile I will enjoy your photos.
    I am a huge Wm Morris fan and through Inspirations collected the Morris fabric for quilting as well as the books. Your photos and blog are now giving me the motivation to actually make a Wm Morris quilt. Many Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou for dropping by……I would email you but I have no email address so I hope you find this message! If ever you do come to Adelaide do let me know so I can show you the William Morris sites! Good luck making your first Morris inspired quilt x

      Delete
  7. On the road again - that could be your theme song. What a lovely trip. I so enjoyed seeing more of your designs made by others. They're timeless and gorgeous. That one photo where you see the mountain range in the distance - that's where I'd like to build a house. I love to have the mountains nearby or in a view from a porch. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for dropping by and sharing in my journey. And thanks especially for your lovely comments….I may not always respond (especially if there is no email address) but please know you are appreciated x