Sunday 1 December 2019

Where is Summer?

Today was supposed to be the first day of Summer but it has been cold and wet with temperatures hovering around 14-16C all day (59F). It is hard to comprehend when parts of our country are in severe drought with bushfires still burning.  But as life goes on we are thinking of those that have lost their homes, property and livestock. I don't want to appear insensitive as I write of joyous times on this blog, so please know if you are affected that we are thinking of many of you that we have met on our travels. It is the festive season and once again we found ourselves in the city this past week with little Wade. He was somewhat disgusted that the trees in the main shopping mall had no baubles but he was pleased to find some that were adorned.....

 He wasn't too sure about the giant hare and dog sharing a coffee though........
Ice-cream always goes down a treat even with the chill factor on his face!!........


 A few days ago I had a wonderful day sharing a little of the Morris & Co sights in Adelaide with a group of 32 quilters (and a few more visitors at one venue). We managed to visit two churches and enjoyed a house tour and delightful high tea at Auchendarroch House. The sun was shining and we had time to see the beautiful gardens as well.....maybe your group might like a day out so do let me know and I can arrange it for you......





 While out and about we couldn't help but notice the magnificent purple haze of the streets lined with jacaranda trees. The photos really don't do the colour justice.......

 Beau and Maisie had a little holiday during the week and the smiles say it all but I don't think it was quite swimming weather.......
They headed up to the famous Barossa Valley wine region and I think there may have been a bit of tasting along with sharing delicious taste platters.....
and even platters for the little ones..........
 Maisie decided to make Mum & Dad a special bush platter one day too...so creative!........

 Yesterday I caught up with a friend again in the city but this time at the Art Gallery. I decided to have a sneak peek at the Morris gallery that is being transformed (opening on Dec 7th), and it is looking amazing. On the way we passed some stunning ancient embroidery - some pieces over 400 years old.......





 The delicate silk embroidery was mind boggling on this hanging.......



 a carpet from Iran dated 1625.......
 It was a lovely afternoon and we must do it more often! This friend also wondered why I keep doing my blog as I mentioned the photos I was taking would be handy for it! I've actually been asked the same question several times by other friends recently and I suspect I am using it as a platform to let people know of any events or tours that might be coming up.....and from the emails I receive I know it brings pleasure to others so I will keep going for now! So we have had a lovely week with more to come and I was also very happy to receive my new Morris baubles that arrived from the William Morris Gallery Christmas shop in the UK.....and in plenty of time for Christmas.......
 We hope you have a happy week x

9 comments:

  1. so many over the years have stopped blogging. I feel it is like a personal journal keeping track of what we do and our projects - it has become such a habit for me it is nice to scroll back and find a photo of something you are looking for or a reminder of what happened/when. I find it interesting looking at the photos that you share - it is all so different than what I see here in the countryside so far away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The weather is certainly unseasonal but any rain we get here is a blessing. I am looking forward to the exhibition at our art gallery opening soon, should be amazing. The children had a lovely time in the pool and Wade enjoyed his ice cream even though it was chilly. They are all growing so much and I love watching their progress each time you write, especially Wade after his shaky start but going ahead in leaps and bounds. Will certainly mention your offer of a day trip to my quilt group for the new year.
    Take care and until next time, 😍😍

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the Art Gallery embroideries photographs - I haven't visited there for some time and had forgotten what treasures they have.
    I'm not complaining about the weather. We got 9mm overnight here in the mid-north!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou - I appreciate your comment x (sorry I couldn't email you but your profile had no email address 😃)

      Delete
  4. I love reading your blog, Michele, especially when I see those Adelaide photos,a bit bitter/sweet giving me memories of home. I use my blog as a sort of journal and I have often looked up past posts to remember how I did things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please don't stop blogging as you always write such lovely and interesting stories and always show beautiful photos. It's blogs such as yours that can bring a smile to those who may not be doing so well on that particular day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou - I appreciate your comment x (sorry I couldn't email you but your profile had no email address 😃)

      Delete
  6. I love your blogs, just lovely sites where you visit and those grandkids are a delight to watch grow up and experience life. I just don't tell you enough how much your friendship mean to me.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for dropping by and sharing in my journey. And thanks especially for your lovely comments….I may not always respond (especially if there is no email address) but please know you are appreciated x