Thursday 10 November 2016

Smelling the Roses

It has been so wonderful to finally have some down time and to actually be able to 'stop and smell the roses'.  The garden is so full of colour and perfume and I am so thrilled with the climbing Pierre de Ronsard that is only two years old......





 In fact all the roses have been fabulous this season and so nice to have cut blooms inside too. Pleased that the William Morris rose is taking off.......
The long wet winter combined with recent sunny days must be the perfect formula as we've noticed good blooms all through Adelaide. We used to be known as the rose state when I was a child and I was proud to recently read that we are in the top ten regions to visit in the world! We've been listed as Number 5 on the Lonely Planet website that you can read about here: Lonely Planet Top Regions of the World. I might have also mentioned from time to time that we have the biggest collection of William Morris furnishings in the world (!!) outside London here at the Art Gallery of South Australia and we have sensational vineyards in several regions that produce magnificent wines! And on Saturday (when I will be getting up at the crack of dawn!) we will be visiting one of the biggest pageants in the world....have a look for that HERE. It will be extra special this year with Beau and Maisie as their Auntie Sophie is one of the dancers......meanwhile back to the garden where the tiny details amused me while I was watering this morning......




such beautiful symmetry in simple blooms........


 I've also been enjoying some hours of hand stitching in the Japanese Chiku Chiku style that we admired at the recent Craft & Quilt fair.....it is so therapeutic and relaxing and it is bringing Mr McGregor's garden to life. 
 This stitching will adorn the bed runner/activity quilt that I've been working on and it is now assembled to complete all this hand stitching. It has handles that fold the quilt up and these are the outside pockets that will hold books, Peter Rabbit and all the wool felt vegetables etc..........
This week I've caught up on the Beatrix Potter Society news....... 
And the new bed has arrived for Maisie. The assembly instructions said one person will take 10 minutes but Larry and I struggled for over an hour!.....

 During the week I also received an email from Christine who I met in the UK on our recent Beatrix Potter tour. Christine is a volunteer at the beautiful Holehird Gardens that we visited and after our introductions she mentioned that she had one of my William Morris in Appliqué books. So I sent her a copy of the new Beatrix Potter book and this week she sent me her beautiful version of the wool felt ball. It is just lovely Chrisine and thank you so much for sending me the photo......
 Some weeks back I started reading again and I am enjoying this Philippa Gregory book. Larry and I are also actively trying to lose weight and in just two weeks I have already lost 2kgs so I must keep that up. I've reduced the amount of bread I eat and we are trying to eat all unprocessed food. So as I prepare the veggies for a wholesome chicken soup I can smell the roses inside......I wish you could smell them too but for now the photos will have to do..........enjoy till next time.........



3 comments:

  1. Wish you luck on the weight loss - I only have to loose about 5-10 pounds all settled in my hips - I will be trying to eat lots of veggies and cut way back on sweets - but with holidays coming up that is always hard to do. Love, love the roses mine never grow that pretty. It always takes time to put furniture together - there must be secret instructions somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad life is settling a bit for you, time to smell the roses, and read and hand stitching. Sounds like a great combination, well maybe not the hand stitching??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always lovely to see and hear your news. For awhile I suddenly didn't receive any news, so hopefully I have connected again. Loved your parade it looked amazing! Was also thrilled to receive your book from my sister-in-law in the USA, who found it on Amazon- 'William Morris in Applique".

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for dropping by and sharing in my journey. And thanks especially for your lovely comments….I may not always respond (especially if there is no email address) but please know you are appreciated x