Sunday 20 December 2020

What have I learnt?

 Well here I am almost two weeks after surgery and with a lot of resting I have had a lot of time to reflect.  So what have I learnt from this ongoing detour? I am only sharing this in the hope it might help someone else (as others have for me). I am going to intermingle my thoughts with more joy that I have received in the way of gifts, cards and flowers.....oh and home cooked meals too! I am not going to share those individuals......you know who you are and how thankful I am......thankyou all xxx The first thing I have learnt is how incredibly kind and thoughtful others have been towards me sometimes from the most unexpected places. The postman and delivery guys know us well now! Home baked goodies brought a huge smile to Larry too......

I have learnt that cancer does not discriminate and if you already have a gene defect the statistics are not in your favour. For the record I have triple negative breast cancer with the BRCA2 gene defect which means I already had a 70-80% chance of getting breast cancer (and ovarian). Despite annual checks this sneaky lesion grew to 3cm in a very short space of time and I feel so lucky that I felt it. The down side to having this gene defect is that I may have passed this on to our adult daughters so they too will need genetic counselling and testing............

I have learnt that this surgery is quite uncomfortable! I had to have a double mastectomy and two weeks on I am still very sore but I am so grateful for these beautiful cushions that were given to me in hospital from the Zonta Club of Fleurieu Peninsula Inc.........
I have learnt that a room with a view in hospital is a welcome addition!!.........
Once again I learnt of the value of life saving blood donations given so willingly by strangers to help others. So I had another two transfusions while in hospital........
I have learnt that in times like this one needs to dig deep to find strength and courage. I have to admit that on the morning of surgery I was feeling quite terrified. Having already endured three long months of chemotherapy (and unwelcome side effects!), I think I was feeling quite vulnerable. As the sun came streaming through my bedroom window I suddenly realised I needed spiritual support from elsewhere. I came to realise that Larry and family and friends could only give so much. You have no idea how liberating that was to think that there is a spiritual power greater than mine that was already there to take my hand and help me through..........
I have learnt that one should listen to one's body and accept that sitting at the sewing machine once again is going to take time!! So rest is important and having a hand crocheted shoulder shawl gifted to you is most comforting.........
I have learnt that one's toes are very good at picking things up off the floor and that hanging rails in wardrobes are very high!! I've also learnt that the giving of gifts brings great pleasure to others and that sometimes they seem to know me scarily well and that they want no fuss or thanks!!!.......


I have learnt that dinner cooked by others tastes the very best and that occasionally one can have a treat........
I have learnt how important friends and family can be and having them stand by your side is so essential and I am so grateful......and that my hair (and eyelashes), will grow back again one day!!!!
I have learnt that no matter what the little people continue to grow and that we are blessed to have them in our lives (the image with Beau and Maisie is comparing the first day of school to the last day this year)....
I have learnt that some friends have unbelievable stamina (and a large garden!), by sending me daily photos for four months!.......

I've learnt that birthdays are a significant milestone and many in life don't reach an amazing 64 years like I just did two days ago, so for that I am grateful. I have also learnt that a bunch of lettuce is just as joyous as a plant and a bunch of flowers!.............

And finally I have learnt that peace and contentment is paramount in one's life especially now and for the world in general. I must thank Cathy from New Zealand for sending me these images of the Morris & Co. stained glass windows from St John The Evangelist Church in North Canterbury, New Zealand.....



I have learnt that having faith and a positive attitude (which at times is very hard!!), can pay off when I received the news that the histopathology showed that the chemotherapy had done its job, so no more chemotherapy required!  Most of all I have learnt that I must be patient and that it can take up to 12 months to get over the effects of it all. I still have two more lots of surgery to go but for now I feel blessed. So I wish you and yours peace and love for Christmas (and the future), and once again say thankyou for dropping by xx

13 comments:

  1. It’s so very good to hear that your torrid time with chemo was effective. With that hurdle over , time and patience will see you through to complete recovery, with a new appreciation of your affect on your friends and the wider community drawn to you by your love and generosity in sharing your love of all things ‘ Morris’ and P&Q in general . Wishing you peace and love over the coming months 😘

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m so pleased that the surgery has gone well and you are on the way to recovery, even though there is more to come , I am sure the outcome will be positive, especially with your wonderful outlook on the situation. Love and kind thoughts, Jean 😍😍❤️❤️💕💕

    ReplyDelete
  3. so glad to hear the chemo did it's job even though it must have been awful to go through - I do hope that each day and each month will give you the strength to get through more surgeries and that you will recover from this - please know we are all sending you our strength to get through this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prayers continue for your full recovery. Take one day at a time and know that the light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter with each new day. Personally I just celebrated nine years in remission from Stage 3+ ovarian cancer and continue to be ever so grateful for each new day. Take care and keep your faith close.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so thankful that God heard our prayers and the chemo worked. I see your hair is already growing back! Thank you for all the photos and thoughts you share with us. It keeps us apprised of your journey to better health. Merry Christmas to you and Larry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Michele it has been so lovely to read your blog and to see how you have journeyed over this past few months, I know it hasn't been easy.
    You have been in my thoughts and prayers over this time and praise God for your wonderful news of the chemo working.
    Having faith, especially during these harder times, is often one of the few ways that gets us through, I know that from experience.
    May you have a very merry & blessed Christmas and new year, this year will be full of new memories.
    Stay safe. Love & God bless Sandra Alderman

    ReplyDelete
  7. During my time in recovery I folded stash..... all the same way so it looked lovely on the shelves. May you continue to see all that is good around you. Your thoughts have brought back special memories. Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhhhh Michele. I read your words and I know you are full of gratitude. We are too.
    I am so happy that you have elves all over the planet sending you treasures to make your heart warm. I know you are suffering. This has been a terrible year for you. I am so grateful for your family and friends and even your followers that have made the effort to show you how truly loved you are.
    I love reading the sweet comments by others.
    You are always in my prayers. No boobs are okay. God never gave me "huge badungas" so having no boobs seems fine. I am glad that you advised about the blood tests. They are very useful.
    I have a naughty ovary I am keeping watch over. nothing bad, just nothing really. Still. Thank God for doctors and caring medical people.
    Love always

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad to hear you are on the road to recovery. Now it is an endurance contest but you are strong and surrounded by love. Your post reminds us in these trying times to be grateful for items big and small. As long as I breathe, life is good and a gift. You remind me - no pity parties when I am healthy and safe and fed and have friends to engage with.
    God bless and a Merry Merry Christmas.
    Darcy Walker

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great to hear that you are safely through surgery. Thinking of you as you rest and recover. You have been so brave to share what you are going through.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am very sorry for everything you are going through and I must say I am amazed at your strength and positive attitude. It certainly got me thinking about my life and gratitude. We are heading into another lockdown in my part of Canada and this whole thing is getting quite depressing but I realize it is nothing compared to your struggles so I just need to buck up and be thankful and try not to get lost in the bad things.
    I wish you continued healing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think of you every day & continually pray for healing & peace for your ongoing issues w/ this horrible disease that has afflicted you. It pleases me to hear that you are doing well considering all the obstacles you've endured. I send God's blessings to you and your family for the New Year. May God's peace & healing strength continue to cure you. With all my love as well, dear Michele, from America - Lynne Sofie

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for dropping by and sharing in my journey. And thanks especially for your lovely comments….I may not always respond (especially if there is no email address) but please know you are appreciated x