Monday 18 February 2019

The highs and lows of the week that was

Travelling through life we experience things we may or may not know are ahead of us. One thing that is inevitable is losing people that we care about. And how often does it come in three's? This past week or so we heard of the tragic loss of someone who meant a lot to a friend - it was one of those moments dashing across a train line not seeing what was coming. I also heard of the loss of a fellow textile devotee who would pop up in my classes from time to time over many years. She was dealt with the unenviable challenge of poor health most of her life but fought hard for so long with an amazing spirit. She loved William Morris designs and quilting helped her immensely but sadly while waiting for an organ transplant her life was over all too soon. Both of these people will be truly missed by those who were close. I also lost someone very special - a favourite Aunt who was my late mother's baby sister. My cousin and I have been gathering photos in preparation for our formal farewell later today. Shirley never had children of her own but but she delighted in stories of her nieces and nephews and then great nieces and nephews and I was thrilled to find the photo of her holding our first born just 37 years ago.........
and she loved cats (unlike her elder sister my Mum!!).......
While it has been a time of sadness it has been a time to celebrate our first born Emily's 37th birthday and then Beau turned seven yesterday......so family time is always special time......
 We had a special afternoon tea one day in the most amazing supermarket - Pasadena Foodland and let me tell you this is no ordinary supermarket. It is more like a market place and includes a restaurant, piano bar and the most extensive range of smells and temptations! Just a bit of what we saw including free drink stations of delicious fruit infused water.......







This past weekend I disappeared from the family for just a day and a half for a training day with Renaissance Tours. It was wonderful to meet 40+ other tour leaders who come from a diverse pool of talent from an archaeologist from the British Museum, Directors of Opera companies, Directors of Art Galleries and many, many experts in their field. I was thrilled to meet some high profile personalities that I have followed for years on ABC TV or radio and it was so refreshing to find they are "normal"......made me feel so much better!! Our accommodation was right in the heart of Sydney and this was the view from my room and then at breakfast.......

This view I speak of is the Queen Victoria Building and as I had an hour or so when I arrived I popped over for a coffee and took some quick pictures on my phone of the interior.....





Our venue for training was in the oldest (still standing) building in Sydney - The Mint and apparently the room we were in was right above where the first gold sovereigns were made.......

As I walked back to the hotel I took in some of the beautiful old architecture that Sydney still has along with some other sights old and new......



and of course a walk to the harbour is a must with the other thousands of tourists.......

A reminder of more sadness was right outside the hotel remembering lives lost in the Hilton Bombing from 41 years ago last week.......
On my way to the airport yesterday I said farewell to Queen Victoria and her beloved dog.........

As I farewelled the green of Sydney and hello to the dry of South Australia it became obvious how little rain we have had recently but it is always nice to be home.......


Roses I picked over a week ago have faded from a deep peach pink to the palest of pale pink.......
So once again my thanks for dropping by as I leave you with this thought provoking message for the week from my desktop calendar......

9 comments:

  1. Great words from the Dalai Lama Michele, and sympathy for your losses. Beau is looking so grown up. Life is going so fast. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry about your aunt. My aunt, who passed away last year, lived in Pasadena, so this post makes me think of her too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry for your losses - so sad to loose so many at one time - it makes it hard. Lovely places you have visited though and nice that you had the training to help take your mind off of things.
    The children look wonderful like always and that market is amazing! I wish I had someplace close like that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Michele, I needed that message from the Dali Lama this week! Life is a roller coaster and it is sad when loved ones die, but part of the grieving process is the joy that comes of retelling and listening to others tell their version of past occasions, and memories of fun times together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear of the loss of loved ones, there is always sadness at these times but when I looked at the photos of your beautiful grandchildren and having a celebration for your daughter's birthday, it reminds me that even when we lose people we love, there are always others filling some of the gaps, especially little children. Beautiful photos again and the food looks delicious.
    Take care, love and kind thoughts, Jean xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deep symanpathy for your losses, Michele and all affected. Beau is getting to look so grown up. Your photos are excellent memories and a treat for us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for dropping by and sharing in my journey. And thanks especially for your lovely comments….I may not always respond (especially if there is no email address) but please know you are appreciated x