Monday 25 January 2021

Detour Diary

I do hope that soon I can offer more to you the reader apart from life here at home! But I fear that will still be a while away both with my current status and the world in general. I cannot imagine that travel is on the horizon beyond our own patch and I for one look at things so differently. Over the years I have enjoyed sharing our travel journeys with you on this blog but now I have had this health scare including a DVT, I think my fear of long flights is warranted - we have so much in our own country that we have yet to explore. But we are making progress despite battling the post-chemotherapy fatigue. My blood levels are still out of kilter but I'm hoping some B12 injections might assist with that. I fill lucky we don't have a young family so I have an excuse to spend the day in my nightie (or even bed!), if I feel like it which is exactly what I did these past two days! But I did make myself useful and started sorting small squares to make into kits for charity quilts. Each kit needs 296 squares and with so many generous donations each square should be different.......

The weather has not been conducive to exploring the neighbourhood and I do worry that the less one does then the less one is motivated! The garden is desperate for rain and the plants are still struggling with what I assume is climate change issues. Our neighbours peaches that hang over our fence are very small this year and are also later than usual but Topsy seems happy and settled........
The hollyhocks are also quite small (and late blooming), and the hydrangeas are either suffering from overwatering or not enough.....and a few pesky critters that we can't find have had a nibble on some plants as well........

But Rachelle's stunning orchid is now completely open and brings such joy......
I am fascinated how plants intuitively do what they do like this climbing jasmine wrapping itself exactly where I want it to......
I had a visitor drop by a couple of weeks ago with another lovely surprise.....more William Morris pleasure to add to my collection! Thankyou Deb......I love the purse the creams came in and that is now filled with needle and thread..........
I am still somewhat overwhelmed and embarrassed with the gifts and thoughts but it has carried us through this difficult time. While one of our daughters tries to find peace with mental illness it reminded my of how sad it is that she hasn't been flooded with the same attention. The community stigma is still there. I finally packed up all the get well cards and counted 92 of them and 16 records of flowers that I received - Thankyou all.......the cards and memories are now packed in a box to treasure......
During this time I completely omitted another large gift that came in the post some time ago......I think we were so awestruck that we immediately put some of it to good use! This came from a lovely part of our country - Corowa. We met Leanne and Derek in 2016 after Leanne had invited me to teach. It is wonderful to go back through the blog and read about it all here on my post Quilting on a Farm and we are hoping to visit them again soon. And what treasures in their gift box - treats for the tummy, Corowa brewed whiskey for Larry and thoughtful treatment for me... and as you can see by the dent in the tube the cream has been used regularly.....thankyou so very much Leanne and Derek........
Back in the cooler months Tim at Lloyd Curzon Textiles noticed the rugby top I was wearing - an Out and About Clothing piece, one of my favourite outlets that is made in country South Australia. Tim commented that he supplies them with the fabrics so behind my back he arranged to have a new one made for me! Thankyou once again Tim and I look forward to wearing it. During that same week we also enjoyed this delicious platter and I finished the binding on a quilt to be gifted to my breast surgeon. Thankyou to Faye for the wonderful Australian indigenous fabrics and for quilting it for me too (and cutting all the fabric as well! xx)............
And just a few days ago I was gifted with this stunning piece of local glass art made by Glass Hearts.......thankyou Kay and Simon......
I love glass pieces and it is very special that it comes from a studio in our beautiful Adelaide Hills. But tragically during the last 12 hours we have been watching with horror a bushfire in the region. Yesterday was 42C and an awful day and Kay and Simon live in these hills as do other friends. So I was up until 2am watching the updates and hoping they were all safe. Today is windy and unpredictable so we can only hope the predicted rain actually comes later in the day. This photo shows how close the hills are from our city.....
Receiving this beautiful glass heart reminded me of some more local glass art that I saw on Instagram during the last couple of weeks. I love these pieces as they remind me of the style of the Arts & Crafts Movement....along with a view of snowdrops pushing though the ice in the UK!.......
Also on instagram we've seen a lot of images of this event that raises money for the Cancer Council of South Australia. It is still surreal that I am now in the category of someone with cancer so it means even more. It is such a fun way to raise funds in the middle of our hot Summer. Participants dress up as Marilyn Monroe and will be making the big splash on February 7th. In just 6 years half a million dollars have been raised and the emotional story behind the event can be read HERE.......
So while we swelter and worry about bushfires the northern hemisphere are enduring freezing temperatures. I even saw vision of snow in London yesterday. Our friends in Canada sent us these images from their home.........I love the icicles.....
So please stay safe wherever you are and take care till next time. Thanks for dropping by x

7 comments:

  1. it sounds like you are gradually getting strength back, coming back from chemo takes time I have always heard and some take longer than others. you have received many gifts and have such good friends to keep steady with you all year so that is all very good for you. Love seeing your many gifts - hope that fire will not harm your friends and not come closer to the city it looks horrifying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michele, I just want you to know that even though many of your readers, myself included, do not comment every time, we are always thinking of you and your family, and we appreciate your sharing your life with us. Your photos are a delight, and brighten my day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Michele. It is always so good to hear from you. And yes, if you need to stay in your nightie, do so. Recuperation takes time. I know for me it took a year to feel like I was getting better. You'll make it. We're all praying for you, and ours is a God of mercy and love. Blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing photos of the beautiful gifts and your garden with us all. Hoping this year will be better for you even though you have a road ahead to travel. Many of us care very much about the struggles your daughter faces each day and she is so lucky to have such a loving and caring family to support her. Love and hugs to you , Jean 💕💕❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another beautiful post with such lovely things. It gives me such pleasure to see it all and especially to hear the upbeat tone in your words. You are a strong woman! And aren't those beautiful grandchildren such a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. After being in relationship with Wilson for seven years,he broke up with me, I did everything possible to bring him back but all was in vain, I wanted him back so much because of the love I have for him, I begged him with everything, I made promises but he refused. I explained my problem to someone online and she suggested that I should contact a spell caster that could help me cast a spell to bring him back but I am the type that don’t believed in spell, I had no choice than to try it, I meant a spell caster called Dr Zuma zuk and I email him, and he told me there was no problem that everything will be okay before three days, that my ex will return to me before three days, he cast the spell and surprisingly in the second day, it was around 4pm. My ex called me, I was so surprised, I answered the call and all he said was that he was so sorry for everything that happened, that he wanted me to return to him, that he loves me so much. I was so happy and went to him, that was how we started living together happily again. Since then, I have made promise that anybody I know that have a relationship problem, I would be of help to such person by referring him or her to the only real and powerful spell caster who helped me with my own problem and who is different from all the fake ones out there. Anybody could need the help of the spell caster, his email: spiritualherbalisthealing@gmail.com or WhatsApp him +15068001647 you can email him if you need his assistance in your relationship or anything. CONTACT HIM NOW FOR SOLUTION TO ALL YOUR PROBLEMS

    ReplyDelete
  7. I needed a mycred customization to add some extra features on my site.
    Wonderful Experience.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for dropping by and sharing in my journey. And thanks especially for your lovely comments….I may not always respond (especially if there is no email address) but please know you are appreciated x