Sunday 19 April 2020

Being grateful

I have said more than once this past week that the "novelty" of being isolated was starting to wear thin and we probably have another four weeks to go with living this way. But living in Australia we are most grateful as we have not had the rate of infection or loss of life that other countries are enduring. While it is looking like we are heading in the right direction I would hate for complacency to take over, so we are grateful for the expert decisions being made to keep us all safe. So the new normal seems to be a bit like our usual normal - gardening, stitching and the occasional walk! I found myself even stitching scrub caps as a call had been put out from a major hospital. The pattern took a while to work out and Larry did well checking that it was suitable! I can recall during my nursing career working in paediatric intensive care and that any colour was welcome so I used some brights from my stash including a dance themed fabric from 2003!........
I've also been using up some of my stash on some more palliative care quilts. The group that I "work" with (and let me tell you it is not really work!), have made over 1200 quilts in just five years......amazing! We are so grateful that one of our members quilts many of them and between her and another helper this is what 140 bindings look like all ready for the quilted quilts! (Thankyou for the photo Faye x).....
Faye has sent me some photos of a couple of mine after her quilting and she even bound them for me.......
And two more using some of my rich gold fabrics that are waiting to be quilted......
 I've also completed another quilt but for now that remains a secret as it is a new mystery project designed as a "Pick a Box" project by Lessa Siegele that you too can join here: Quilters Guild of South Australia Pick a Box Mystery ....and it is all free to help during this time of isolation! I am also stitching some embroidery to complete another palliative care quilt. Two panels had already been completed by the kind stitcher who donated them. I needed to complete the bird cages but one in the centre had been traced off centre and luckily it was with a wash out pen so I decided to replace it with appliqué.......I've been missing that lately! I have some Morris fabrics that I think will work well for the borders as well.....
 Larry has been busy painting the ceiling of our new kitchen as the lights are now installed and I added some more of my late Mum's plates on the wall. While he was in the mood for painting I decided the garden dovecote could do with a makeover to match the house!........
 So it has gone from a stark white to cream and red........ 


 We've been trying to walk each day and have noticed many others are out exercising keeping a distance of course. But one does need to dodge the bikes when on the shared track......
 Easter has passed us by since my last blog post and while this year we couldn't share it with family it was lovely to see photos of the older two......
 And this as well being taught by their Dad and then playing on their own.....


We even had the neighbourhood easter bunny visit and we have yet to find out who it was! And every year I find a dark chocolate bunny on my bed!.....
 This week we've had some sunny days in the garden and I've managed to plant some new poppies, hollyhocks, foxgloves, sweet peas, hellebores and a plant that Mum always had in her gardens - ageratum. But the rain overnight brought out all the snails - they always know when there is fresh new juicy temptations! I did feel awful that the bait worked but I am not sure how else to save the plants. So the hope is for a sunny spring in about 4-5 months full of colour and joy.....



 Signs of Autumn are around us but the potted oak trees are still holding their colour. I've grown three from acorns that I took from my childhood home. I would love to plant them in the garden but a small suburban block is not really going to work!.......
 The lemon and lime trees are doing well in pots and my late Mum's maiden hair fern continues to thrive...it has to be at least 15 years old........
The wonder of the monarch butterflies makes us eternally grateful for where we live as well.........
 Shopping has come to a standstill only for essentials but I felt the need of some new warmer clothes so turned to a favourite brand - Out and About Clothing all made in country South Australia that I could order online. My sweaters arrived in under two weeks and they beautifully made with 100's of colours and trims to choose from. I never wore red growing up as Mum always said "redheads should never wear red"...but in this my 64th year I think it is time I did!........
 So I seem to have found the mundane to reach out to you......I hope life is as good as it can be and that wherever you are that you are safe and well. I will leave you with these lovely photos sent to me by Helen from New South Wales of her William and May quilt. Thankyou so much Helen....your colours are beautiful.......




6 comments:

  1. so many pretty photos - your kitchen looks wonderful glad you were able to get most of the work done before the stay home order was there. I'm glad you are having less cases in Australia and I hear New Zealand is too. Here in the states the cities have it bad the countryside not so much. My county has 35 cases our of 65,000 people but we are all mostly countryside. We are walking and go to the grocery store only when we need to fill prescriptions also - otherwise we do a pick up service or a delivery service - thanks heavens for on line clothing stores and supplies of all kinds. I have ordered two pair of stretchy capri's as we are going into warm weather while you go into colder weather. I am slowly finishing projects and will be starting new ones of course like always. Reading, baking, gardening, and walking make up my day - I watch a little of shows on the tv but have not been a big watcher for years. Love the quilts you show and glad you have photos of the kids - hope little Wade is doing well also

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always enjoy your posts, Michele, and glad to hear that you are well and that the virus is not so prevalent in Australia and New Zeland. Our calendar looks so strange with a dearth of entries. But it has been proven easy to do as ordered because we both love to read and have hobbies that keep us busy. Mine of course is quilting and my botanist husband has a large yard devoted to his cacti that keep him busy. We had several days (8) of rain and he was, of course, bored because as he says there is only so much reading one can do. Both of us are not much of tv viewers. So nice to see the kids. Hope Wade is well. Love the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely scrub hats, a nice bright treat for the staff who must be feeling under the pump. Your dovecote looks great in its new colours and the garden is looking lovely. Gardening and walking are good outdoor excursions where you cannot hear about covid 19 and I am finding I really need that break from the constant bombardment. I switched to listening to podcasts on my phone yesterday while sewing and it was perfect peaceful accompaniment to piecing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, we are so fortunate and grateful to live here. Well done on all those quilts!
    Garden's looking good. A solution to laying out bait in the garden: cut up a plastic milk carton to make a collar around the plant. Sprinkle diatomaceous earth around the outside of the carton. When you water the plant, water inside the carton and when it rains, renew the diatomaceous earth. Diatomaceous earth is also known as dryacide. It's very safe - it's made from crushed up sea fossils. Just don't breathe it in because it's as fine as talcum powder. It's cheaper from places like Landmark; farmers use it to protect grain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always, Michele, I am impressed with your garden, your sewing, your kitchen is gorgeous, the grand kiddos are adorable. We are living in ANNOYINGLY exhausting times.
    Oh well.
    we have been watching youtube tv and just have a salt water aquarium on. There are many to choose from on the internets. Ours is "relaxtime" and even our kitties love it.
    I am keeping busy, taking full advantage of this forced quarantine. I do go out but suit up properly, and if I go to daddy, I leave this house in fresh clean clothing and a scrubbed car. So, it works. Also, coming home, I hit the safest least populated time to go in and get milk bananas and such. Then come home and completely "decontaminate" hahahahaha
    I always enjoy reading your blog so much. I was out in the garden transplanting some ground cover called Ajuga chocolate chip monrovia. It spreads like crazy and looks nice. when I am sick of it, it comes up easy and I can toss it into the woods, or just the yard trash. HA!
    Stay well

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello everyone, Are you into trading or just wish to give it a try, please becareful on the platform you choose to invest on and the manager you choose to manage your account because that’s where failure starts from be wise. After reading so much comment i had to give trading tips a try, I have to come to the conclusion that binary options pays massively but the masses has refused to show us the right way to earn That’s why I have to give trading tips the accolades because they have been so helpful to traders . For a free masterclass strategy kindly contact (paytondyian699@gmail.com) for a free masterclass strategy. He'll give you a free tutors on how you can earn and recover your losses in trading for free..

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for dropping by and sharing in my journey. And thanks especially for your lovely comments….I may not always respond (especially if there is no email address) but please know you are appreciated x