Sunday 22 March 2020

Uncertain times

It is with a sad but hopeful heart that I write this post and like you our thoughts of the future are full of uncertainty. What I am certain of is that we are lucky to have a roof over our heads, family nearby and special friends to support and encourage. It is Mother's Day in the UK today so last night I wrote to Helen wishing her a happy day knowing that it would not be possible for her to share it with family during the current lockdown crisis. The message I got back brought tears to my eyes with both hope and joy and she wanted me to send an extra big cheerio and she is thinking of all of you that have joined her (and sometimes myself) on her Whitecroft tours. So with that I thought it an opportune time to share a bit of fun wiht the news that Helen is now a movie star!! The village where Helen lives in Devon was chosen for filming a new series The Trouble with Maggie Cole starring none other than the delightful Dawn French...and Helen!! If the trailer is anything to go by it looks like it will be just what we need right now......not sure when it will be released in our neck of the woods though......
And here is Helen looking shocked as she had been instructed!!
So during these uncertain times life does go on albeit a little differently. I won't regurgitate the shopping hoarding or the media scares but like many live for the day when it is all behind us so that the good in humanity arises once again. If you are lucky like me and have a hobby to fill your time then this imposed seclusion can only reap rewards. While speaking of quilting I thought I would share some stunning work by two local girls, Prue Wheal and Val Giles who had an extended exhibition of their work that concluded just over a week ago. The venue was a great space to showcase their incredible work full of great skill and colour choice.............








 I am so pleased I got to see it all. Of course during these trying times we must protect the little people so an after school treat a couple of weeks ago went down well.......
 We have also been enjoying our own treat as we watch our kitchen and laundry being transformed. Things have stalled for the moment but we are hopeful it will all be completed soon.......some before images......

The neighbours must have wondered what was happening as father Mark and his sons Jamie and Lewis all have their own personalised work van which took up much of our little street......
 Their website is awaiting more photos but you can see some of their work on their facebook page Here. This business came recommended by a friend Gina Burgess and we have not been let down. We are living 'camp style' but considering world events we have little to complain about.....


 An unexpected issue with the previous tiling led to an opportunity for me to create a feature row of tiles reflecting a quilt pattern of course and I love it!........

 And then one day I noticed a pattern on the wall where the previous tiles had been removed so while the boys were at lunch I created some cheeky art work...click on the image to see a close-up!.....
 So all in all we are very happy and feel very lucky......

 During the past week I also received photos from Sylvie in Canada. Some time ago she wrote to ask me if I would mind her using my 'Coffee with William Morris' quilt pattern to create a hooked rug. Sylvie also sent me images of some of her previous work......

 And here is a reduced sized version of my quilt design all done on linen and in progress.....Wow! I can't wait to see it finished....... 
 Closer to home I also received this glorious photo of Julie and her beautiful version of 'Morris Brocade' surrounded by a co-ordinated Morris print border. Thankyou to both Sylvie and Julie for allowing me to share your work with others......I think with this lockdown there may well be lots of creativity going on.......
 So my final message comes from the great man himself. I saw this on social media and thought it most pertinent. Stay safe and well everyone xxx

7 comments:

  1. Wow life has really changed in the last 24 hours hasn't it! Loving your new floor tiles, such a great pattern! Love the hooked rug...I started one many many years ago and I dream of finishing it. Glad you have the opportunity to stay home, stay safe and be entertained. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for taking the time to share these bits of your life! I love your remodeling, love that quilt show shots, hope we get to see the TV show in the US, and of course, the quilts and rug inspiration are wonderful. They’ve brightened my day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely to hear from you and that you are keeping well. Busy times at your house with the renovations. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Michele you always share some incredible photos. I love your grandbabies. They are loved.
    I am a proud gramma of 5 now. My younger daughter just had her third and a boy!! So 4 girls (2 from my oldest daughter) and they are all under 5. I love those silly fluffs
    Your rug is beautiful. Your kitchen remodel looks divine! the quilt art show is incredible. I am amazed they allowed a Trump quilt. Most people hate him. I do not. He is not perfect, but he is not stupid. I hope you are enjoying each day, and it's beauty. We have been getting dinner from our local favorite restaurants once a week.
    I am going to look into the movie you mentioned, The Trouble with Maggie Cole. It sounds good. Most new movies are rather offensive or insulting. Of course "I don't care, I am sewing, whatever" works when hubbs wants to watch action detective movies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting post. You both have been busy! How old is Beau? My hair (while never as blonde as his) started turning color when I was six. Love his curls. Your new space is going to be beautiful and so open. Yes, we are lucky to have our hobbies - keeps us on track and productive. Blessings to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is a lot going on everywhere at the moment but we have to all do our bit to get through it and help those who may be having troubled times. I am so grateful to have quilting as a hobby, at least there's plenty to do in the sewing room.
    The kitchen will be great when it's finished, love the tiles on the floor.
    Take care and stay healthy 😍😍

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello everyone, Are you into trading or just wish to give it a try, please becareful on the platform you choose to invest on and the manager you choose to manage your account because that’s where failure starts from be wise. After reading so much comment i had to give trading tips a try, I have to come to the conclusion that binary options pays massively but the masses has refused to show us the right way to earn That’s why I have to give trading tips the accolades because they have been so helpful to traders . For a free masterclass strategy kindly contact (paytondyian699@gmail.com) for a free masterclass strategy. He'll give you a free tutors on how you can earn and recover your losses in trading for free..

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for dropping by and sharing in my journey. And thanks especially for your lovely comments….I may not always respond (especially if there is no email address) but please know you are appreciated x