Saturday 6 July 2019

May Morris Inspires

It would seem every time I think about posting on the blog I start by lamenting about how long it is since the last one, so clearly life is busy! But I am very excited to share these images of the beautiful new collection - The Melsetter Collection from Morris & Co. It would appear that the name comes from a house on the Orkney Island of Scotland where I found a little information HERE. But first lets enjoy this stunning collection inspired by the designs of May Morris.....






 I love them all especially in the room settings......



 I found even more about Melsetter House HERE and was interested to discover that the owners were great followers of William Morris. May Morris visited the house and stated that it was "A sort of fairy palace on the edge of the northern sea, a wonderful place, remotely and romantically situated, with its tapestries and its silken hangings and its carpets; for all its fineness and dignity it was a place full of homeliness and the spirit of welcome, a very loveable place. And surely that is the test of an architects genius; he built for home life as well as dignity." So of course most of the home furnishings were from Morris - sadly the house is not open to the public anymore but I hope those furnishings are safe. But how wonderful this new collection is......I hope one day I can afford to have some of it somewhere in our home! May Morris has inspired me as well with my small sampler reflecting some of May's drawings......
And a wallhanging I completed last year with the original inspiration of a May Morris embroidery beside it (image from the Museum of Fine Arts Boston)
 And a cushion that I made inspired by an embroidered book cover from May Morris (Book cover image also from the Museum of Fine Arts Boston)
As I continue the Morris theme I must share some very exciting news from Lynne in Florida. She messaged me to tell me she had won an award at the 2019 Vermont Quilt Festival last week. She received a very special Judge's Award and it was exciting to watch the awards ceremony live. The judge was Kathie Beltz so an incredible honour for Lynne....I feel chuffed as well as the quilt design comes from my second book "More William Morris in Appliqué". Lynne used many beautiful Morris prints and the quilt has been enhanced by some beautiful quilting from Sally Terry .....Congratuations to both of you! And thankyou Lynne for sending me all the wonderful photos. Lynne is seen here with Kathie Beltz the judge........

 and here with Lynn's proud husband......


 I too have been quilting but by hand and progress is being made with the centre almost complete.....

We've also been busy with little Wade......

 and with school holidays over the next two weeks I am sure we will see more of the other two as well........

I also thoroughly enjoyed a concert in the Adelaide Town Hall recently with the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra. It was wonderful to hear over 50 performers in such a beautiful setting.....

Larry and I have had some lovely walks in the winter sun when the days have allowed us in some of our most favourite places.....




 Here at home the trees out the back have finally lost their leaves but I managed to capture the colour just before the winds came yesterday (and we are hoping for more rain soon)........ 
The Dalai's words this week about trees seemed most appropriate........

 So I will say farewell and thank you once again for visiting and leave you with a news clipping I found about another recent William Morris adventure of mine! Take care till next time x

5 comments:

  1. nice you are enjoying winter walks while the weather is nice and see you have your hands full with hand quilting and helping to care for grandchildren - it keeps you busy for sure - probably too busy!! Nice to see the quilt with the award! I will get back to mine at some point this summer somehow like usual I got started on too many at one time and need to get some finishes it is crazy how many I started.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beautiful fabric! I love how they used it in the bathroom. Very interesting article!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post Michele! And that fabric is magnificent. I have family ancestry originating from the Orkney Islands...I think I'll have to get some.
    Thankyou for sharing with us
    XX Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. As usual lovely things in your posts. A friend call me after seeing your latest and asked me when I went to see you.She said there is a lady named Maggie that looks just like you. I looked and we do look alike and my name is Margaret. So tell Maggie hello for me. I always like finding a new friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Morris fabric is just beautiful it's easy to see why we all love it so much. Sunny winter days are great for a walk enjoying the different coloured leaves falling to the ground.
    I'm sure the little ones will enjoy time spent with you over the holidays, especially little Wade who is growing so fast.
    Take care Michele, love and warm wishes, 😍😍

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for dropping by and sharing in my journey. And thanks especially for your lovely comments….I may not always respond (especially if there is no email address) but please know you are appreciated x