Thursday 18 January 2018

Happy but Hot!

The happiness continues but it is awfully hot here at home. It reached almost 42C (107F) today and Adelaide is once again in the middle of hosting the big bike race - Tour Down Under. This is the 20th year that Adelaide has hosted the international event and one wonders how the teams from the northern hemisphere are feeling after coming from freezing conditions! In all there are 19 teams with 7 riders in each team and 17 of those teams are international....thanks Larry for the knowledge! Larry used to ride a racing bike and my younger brother still does, so it is something that we enjoy. So today we sat in the shade and admired their incredible resilience in what must have been stifling conditions.......

 We live only 2 minutes away from one of the vantage points and the excitement builds when the police arrive waving to the kiddies as they block the side roads. It must have been stinking hot in those uniforms.......

 The helicopters even landed right next to where we were sitting to refuel.......






And then in a matter of seconds they are all gone.......






 I just loved this couple beaming........
 So my favourite 'happiness is' from the calendar this week was.......
But we weren't so happy early this morning when the installer came to finally hang the bi-fold doors! The doors were supposed to be installed early last week but we had a call to say that when they unpacked them they were damaged. So today was the rescheduled day but it turns out some incompetent person didn't measure them correctly so we have to wait yet again! It is almost 7 weeks since we ordered them but I guess in the scheme of things it is a minor hiccough. So the room remains in view of my mess while I am cutting and preparing kits for Norfolk Island in March...... 

 and here lies the remains of where the door installer stopped when he discovered the measurement error.........
Speaking of quilting events.....I had the opportunity of visiting a local quilt show last Sunday with some special quilting friends............
 McLaren Vale quilters have been meeting for 30 years this year and there is an amazing lot of talent in the group. I only had my phone to take photos so took just a few. I love Jenny's version of 'Summer Stroll' from the second book More William Morris in Appliqué and I love the pastel Morris print she used in the border..........


 Unfortunately I moved as I took this image but it is of Gayle's version of 'Friends' from the first book William Morris in Appliqué .........

 A gobsmacking quilt made up of one inch squares!!.......




 Heather's quilts are always admired and her quilting is lovely on this one.......

 and this is also one of Heather's and it is raw edge appliqué and looks like needle-turn......the edges are so perfect......





 And back home is my new 5 star Dovecote 'planted' in the garden all ready for the doves! It looks rather imposing from the roadside but coming up the steep drive it is not so towering!........
 And a final note on little Wade seen here resting peacefully with his very placid Dad while watching the TV with Poppa. He has been a little unsettled with colic and is apparently a very noisy sleeper but we hope in time this will pass. A nice way to end and say thank you once again for dropping by x

6 comments:

  1. Don't know how they ride that far, let alone in the heat!! Lovely photo of little Wade, and love the dovecote. Thanks for the quilt show.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. the heat must be horrible for the bike race but then I think when we occasionally see bike races here in the south it will be in the 90's and very high humidity - I think the high humidity must be worse when riding - you didn't mention of you high humidity that day - don't you hate those sweaty hot days at times. We are coming to the end of a cold spell and moving back to warmer winter days and rain on the weekend - I will take that over 20 degrees and cold wind any day.
    I love seeing your patterns made into quilts, it must have been nice to go to a show and see your patterns finished out. I have begun Morning Glory from More WM Morris in Applique - it will take me awhile I am doing it needle turn so my points won't be as pointed as yours and I have rounded edges a little here and there to make the go of it easier

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely assortment as always Michele. We met a lot of the professional riders while in Girona and I was astounded at how thin they are. But, they have to push every bit of their weight around so lighter is better. The poor tennis players in Melbourne have it tough at the moment with the heat on court. And to think we have a cooler wet snap at the moment so I had a cardy on all day yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great quilt show - lots of stellar quilts there. I feel for you about those doors. Similar thing happened to us but with vinyl windows. In our spare bedroom which has a window 164" wide they measured wrong (by a half inch). And there was not getting it into place. So we had a piece of plastic for three weeks. I was not a happy camper. Little Wade is coming around. When is his predicted birthdate? Has it passed. Prayers still being said for him. Stay cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do feel for the bike riders especially in this heat but they seem to survive. I guess they compete in many different races around the world so realise the conditions vary quite dramatically. Lovely photos of the quilts at the show, so many talented people.
    Little Wade looks pretty relaxed with his Dad, he seems to be doing well.
    Until next time Michele, look forward to your "happiness" quotes.
    Luv, Jean 😀😀

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI Michele. I was in Geelong this past week and we had 41 on thursday and Friday. It was terrible!! I thought of you because I could almost see the roses in the gardens wilting. It's very oppressive when it gets that hot. A friend from Wellington is watching the cycle race (in fact cycling along with them), and he and I were comparing temperatures between Geelong and Adelaide. I hope you're staying cool inside.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for dropping by and sharing in my journey. And thanks especially for your lovely comments….I may not always respond (especially if there is no email address) but please know you are appreciated x