Thursday 23 November 2017

A little William Morris

I've been meaning to share again some of the new Morris fabrics from Moda (done in collaboration with the Victoria and Albert Museum), and a new range due out soon from Free Spirit that was developed in collaboration with Morris & Co. ..........

I have to confess I have purchased quite a bit of the Moda range from two local shops and I am sure the Free Spirit range is going to be hard to resist when it comes out early next year! The Moda range is simply delicious.....


 Free Spirit have a delightful video launching the new range but I have to say I totally disagree with one of the commentators calling Morris's designs 'Art Deco.'......I think 'Arts and Crafts' would be more accurate. I think Art Deco came many years later - in fact at least 30 years after Morris died.....
I used some of the new Moda range in the border print of one of my new quilts and I love the red shade. I will be releasing the patterns of both these quilts very soon and I would love some feedback about that. I am thinking of doing hard copies for Curzon Fabrics to supply to the shops here in Australia but also selling them online myself for overseas quilters but in a PDF format. The down side is the patterns are on large A3 sheets so you would need to copy them and take them to a print shop unless you have a printer that does the larger size.....do you think this would be a worthwhile exercise for me to release patterns this way? I just know posting patterns overseas would be cost prohibitive with postage costs....I would love some feedback......(and you might notice I appliquéd some of the motifs upside down on the corners......not sure if I can be bothered doing them again!!).........
Back to matters from home with just a little William Morris thrown in! I received some packages in the mail this week - one of them from New Zealand. I was intrigued by the description of the contents of a 'Beanie for Tea'!!........
 and what a gorgeous tea beanie it is.........a most splendid tea cosy and I just love it! This was handmade just for me by Linda who won my quilt in one of the classes at Symposium last month. She shared with me that the quilt is now hanging above her bed and I am so thrilled that she loves it so much. Thankyou Linda....I hope you get this message....I will write to you but if someone who knows her reads this please tell her how much I love my tea cosy........
I have a fabulous collection of china cups and saucers to go with my new gift but have to confess to not using them as often as I should. It all started when my late mother starting buying me a set each birthday and being a December girl this was my first.......
 The china cabinet is full of more china cup sets and all sorts of other bits that one day my girls will have to decide what to do with! Maybe little Maisie will love it all....even the little cup cakes that are in fact soaps........



 And I have far too many Morris mugs!!.......




 The other package was addressed to dear little Wade and it brought me to tears when Sophie opened it. Sadly I don't have a photo but it was the dearest little teddy I have ever seen complete with a tiny story book about an inch high and a little blanket for teddy to sit on with 'W' embroidered in the corner. The card was written to 'Wade from Teddy' telling him he would watch over him and read him stories.....so precious and thoughtful (thankyou dear Dot and Tony xx).............
It reminded me of some little handmade teddies I have as well so I dug them out and they are now resting with all my other clutter!!.........
 Back to 'the garden'......recently the local council came and gave the roadside trees a very serious prune. We don't like the trees at all but they look worse now and we are not allowed to touch them. At least now the front part of the garden will get more sun so we've been busy planting daisies, lavenders and other cottage plants hoping it will fill up quickly. We also covered some of those awful pebbles with mulch and 'planted' some slate stepping stones and a new bird bath.........







 I can't sign off without a little update on Wade. They trialled him again without the high flow for breathing but he didn't tolerate that so he is back on it again. He is such a little fighter and it is such a rollercoaster for Sophie and and Tim. Last night I embroidered some singlets for him but I might stick to appliqué for the rest......


 Thanks for all your lovely messages and good wishes.......I am so sorry I am unable to email you as some profiles are not connected to an email address. But please know how much they are appreciated. Thanks again for dropping by x

6 comments:

  1. love your quilts and your garden - so many tea cups and Wm. Morris mugs - you certainly have a large display of them don't you. I have the fat quarter bundle of the newest WM Morris fabric from Moda and plan to make one of your quilts in the book I have of yours with them - hope to start in the New Year

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you know he's in the best place, but it is such a marathon for Mum and Dad. How lucky they are to have you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just going to email you and ask about Wade. Still praying for this little guy. Thank you for the info on the fabrics - I"ll have to see who has them. Our LQS doesn't carry them. Love your two new quilts. The pdf patterns sound like winners!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, love to Wade and family and prayers. Yes, patterns no matter how I can get them, I can figure out with help how to use them. Such lovely things coming. I have the V and A from Moda. Now I need your patterns. As always I love your sharing your talent and mostly yourself with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of love and thoughts to you all to help little Wade along, he is a strong little man and doing things at his own pace which is a very positive sign. It was wonderful to read the baby shower took place, such a supportive get together with lots of lovely food ,mfamily and friends.
    Can't wait for the new range to come out next year, certainly will be buying some of that, your garden is lovely Michele, so are your photographs.
    Love and kind thoughts, Jean 😀😀

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad that baby Wade is moving along. Yes, there are set backs and it is terribly hard on the parents..... he has weeks and weeks to go..... but I have watched (thru FaceBook) a half dozen of these 24 weeker's move a long and the next thing you know they are in kindergarten. Does Australia do kangaroo holding? Skin to skin, tubes and all.... not easy. I figure when you are there to take pictures is not holding time. So grandma, I bet your job is to encourage and listen to the parents....acknowledge their frustrations and discouragement. we are all rootin' for him.

    As far as the paper size goes... I looked it up and I think a print shop would be able to print it for me and others. THE THING IS... it would have to be loaded on a flash drive and taken to the print shop... and that is beyond my general knowledge. 15 years ago I could have done it but things change and I have not kept up.... so I would hope for exact directions on how to save to computer and how to copy to flash drive when I bought "a pattern".....

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for dropping by and sharing in my journey. And thanks especially for your lovely comments….I may not always respond (especially if there is no email address) but please know you are appreciated x