Thursday 10 August 2017

Unexpected Adventures

My exciting and very Unexpected Adventure is at the end of this post! But firstly - it is almost a week since my cardiac adventure and despite moping about the house the week has gone quickly. I am so lucky that Larry only works one day a week and I've been very grateful to have him around. On Monday we decided it was time to get out of the house so we headed five minutes down the road to Pt Noarlunga. It was wild and woolly outside but the amble and a hot coffee were welcome......






 Even the pigeons looked chilly (Larry calls them flying rats!)...no idea where the seagulls were.......




 This floral wall mural nearby appears to be floating from some angles......
Since taking my Japanese bag class in July I have been after some fine cord for the zippers. Our teacher told us of a fabulous Japanese variety store where we can get packs. The cord is fine enough to put through a zipper end and also to thread beads, but the city store some weeks ago had none in stock. So today we had an adventure visiting their other store the other side of town in Hollywood (!!). It took over an hour partly because of major traffic works. Large over and under passes are being built and every time I pass the barriers I can't help but think of the families and businesses that were told they had to move for the construction. One hopes they were looked after and that they are now living in a much quieter location........

 These large walls encroach on homes that were previously some way back from the road so hopefully some of the noise is reduced........
 And then we arrived in Hollywood - now that is an adventure!..........

 yep...it is just the name of the shopping centre - "Hollywood Plaza"! And the store full of all sorts of bibs and bobs is the Daiso Japan store. I was surprised to read that their are 2,800 stores in Japan and over 4,000 worldwide! We only have two in our city but we heard of another that will be opening at Marion - much closer for next time!........

 When Beau and Maisie come to visit we try to have little surprises waiting for them so this is the ideal store to find little trinkets that are now waiting on their beds........
 The cord is tightly woven and with lovely shades but not sure about the Edinburgh stamp on the packaging though?......
 Then we headed to Pt Adelaide for another adventure and it is here we are reminded of Robert Barr Smith and his business success in South Australia allowing him to purchase so lavishly from Morris & Co in the 19th century (and that we can now view in our Art Gallery - well some of it!)........

This adventure was not so welcome though! I am a little disappointed that my allergy to surgical tapes was ignored and six days on I am still very itchy and uncomfortable on both my wrist and tummy (sorry it is so graphic but nothing like sharing to ease the discomfort!!)...
 But my sewing mojo is slowly coming back and I even decided last night to make a second version of one of the new Morris inspired quilts! This time it will be using that wonderful pearlised black background and lots of bright appliqué.....
 Larry put up my sewing machine a few nights ago in the family room in front of the telly but I have only managed about ten minutes each time.......I know that will change soon.......
This new quilt will also be one of the workshops at Quilt Norfolk next year - a great adventure. I am actually going to supply two choices and I have heard there are eight vacancies if you feel like joining me - such great value and such a relaxing week for all of us.......

My last formal classes are in New Zealand in October but Norfolk Island is a little different ..much less tiring and during those four days together there is quite possibly more laughter than sewing! So some handmade gifts for students to celebrate my retirement are all ready to go.........
I know of other tutors who are also retiring from teaching this year and we all share the same story. It is the constant need to create new ideas and then the many, many hours of typing notes, packing and preparing etc - it leaves little time for one's own creativity. The other thing that I have missed for many years is reading. So as my teaching winds down I have done a little more of that recently. It is nice to escape on an adventure through books. Hannah Kent's new book 'The Good People' is her second following 'Burial Rites". I didn't find this novel as gripping as her first but it is still an amazing read all set in 19th century Ireland. 'The Chocolate Tin' from Fiona McIntosh was an easy read and set post WW2 and a story woven around the chocolates that were sent to troops on the battlefields of France (and William Morris is even mentioned in the book - someone told me about that so I had to buy it!)........
Patrick Redmond's 'The Puppet Show' was all about mind games and the conclusion definitely made one realise how easily we can be manipulated by others. 'Longbourn' is what I have just started and I am looking forward to the retelling of the story of the Bennett girls of Jane Austen's 'Pride and Prejudice' but all through the eyes of a servant (under the watch of a tough housekeeper by the name of Mrs Hill!!).......
And there are a couple of other adventures waiting as well.......
 Now to a very big and very Unexpected Adventure! I've been invited to the Craft and Quilt Fairs as guest artist in Wellington and Hamilton in New Zealand very soon! I've accepted as there is no teaching - just chatting and stitching and one evening each show I will share the William Morris story. (And Larry will be joining me as well!) So to all our friends across the ditch.....do come and say hello! (Wish the UK was as close as NZ Helen!)......
So thanks for dropping by - I will finish with this splendid photo of the adventure of Peter Rabbit being chased by Mr McGregor! Mim has finished her version of the bed runner from our class in Terang in May. I just love how Mim has brought it to life with her use of fabrics - the landscape has such depth and texture - fabulous! (And Hi Bronwyn from Castle Hill! I received your card and your gift is on its way!)

3 comments:

  1. your rash from the allergy looks more painful then itchy - I hope you have an ointment that will help heal it. So glad that you are getting up and around and back to normal. Life does through you some curves in the road doesn't it. The year will be over before you know it and then time will be yours and you can take your time and read, stitch write and concentrate more on you and Larry and the lovely family. I have always thought those quilters that have such busy life's of teaching, writing, workshops etc have no time to enjoy the stitching themselves - I'm glad that you can look forward to that now and enjoy the slow down time. How I wish I could join you on Norfolk Island that sounds like such a wonderful place and I envy you that. I will look for some of the books that you show - I'm always looking for more to read - I think I read as much as I make quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a newsy post. I am glad that you are feeling well enough to go out. I can't believe that there is a Hollywood Plaza in Adelaide now. A Daiso has opened up in the shopping centre near me so thanks for the tip about the fine cord.
    Love Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photos again, and who knew that there was a Hollywood in Adelaide?? Glad you are getting some reading done, time to take it easy for awhile. Reading sounds like bliss. xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for dropping by and sharing in my journey. And thanks especially for your lovely comments….I may not always respond (especially if there is no email address) but please know you are appreciated x