Sunday 25 June 2017

Stitching soothes the Soul

We've only been home for six days but it sure feels like much longer! Larry worked out that we drove almost 7,000kms (4,350 miles) in just over a month including our trip to Victoria a week before we headed for Queensland. So we are now glad to be home reflecting on the wonderful journey that we had and everyone we met. It is actually quite hard to comprehend that we traveled so far and Helen said to me in an email that if she traveled that far she would fall off the end of the UK.......and this map kind of says it all - we must have driven the length of the UK twice and then back!!......

And for friends in the US I guess it was like driving from Fort Worth to Washington and back.....
 But we did come home to some devastating news on Monday night where we learnt that Larry's younger cousin was in intensive care following a brain haemorrhage or so they suspected. Helen has a very responsible job as the Managing Director of the freight train services between Adelaide and Darwin so she is consequently on call 24/7. But she does take breaks and travels often - at least one big trip a year and they think that it may have been following a recent trip that an embolus travelled to the brain sustaining this injury. We have been pleased to see positive signs and in the short time that we have been to visit she is now trying to talk and move the side that has been affected.......so we all pray that she continues to improve with each day. So I threw myself straight into stitching as I find that is one of the best forms of therapy....and as they say 'Stitching soothes the soul"......well for some of us I guess! I did lots of cutting on the road and now thirteen blocks are all ironed and ready to be appliquéd.......
 And dare I say it??!! Yes I think there will be a third William Morris quilt book so lots more sewing over the next 12 months!.........
 I am even trying to do more pieced quilts this time - not my favourite thing to do!!........



 So while I was busy cutting I started Miss Maisie's quilt for her third birthday that is soon. I've been searching for Shopkins fabrics as Maisie is quite obsessed with it all! The fabrics finally arrived in a local store so some quick cutting and piecing and the quilt is already on its way to dear Jude to work her edge to edge quilting magic..........


 So while the machine was still warm I whipped up a bag ready for the quilt and a wee quilt for the doll I made Maisie as well...............
 Of course one of the best things about coming home is catching up with family so the first evening we were home some of the family joined us for a belated birthday dinner for Larry (Brett was studying for Uni exams and Sophie teaching dance so just Emily and the little ones). Bath time is always a special time with naked mischief running around the house but a story soon stopped that.......(unfortunately Emily's phone camera lens was dirty....or so she says....I was sure it was Larry drooling in this shot!!).......
 It is so nice to see photos when we are away and these are some that Emily shared while we were gone.....and how nice that they can still blow a dandelion to see what time it is in fairyland...love it!........

 Yesterday we had another catch up with them and Sophie and Tim as well........
 We have finally had a little rain today despite being very chilly but it looks like we are in for a very dry winter. But chilly nights means baking Larry's favourite mince and sweetcorn pie....with some healthy veggies on the side (!!)......so time to indulge in that right now......

So once again thanks for dropping by......I will leave you with this exciting link to investigate........(And No it is not really teaching because that ceases for me this October....this is just a great time to relax and share in a lot of stitching to soothe all our souls!........Quilt Norfolk and also HERE!

5 comments:

  1. yes your trip would have been like Texas to Washington - we travel long distances too but usually have our camper and take it nice and slow - I hate when you have to drive really far and stay some place for only a day or two and turn right around and drive back. Hope Larry's cousin will recover nicely. Your grandchildren always look like such happy children and I know they bring you love. Looking forward in a year or two to see what your new book will bring -

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea! A new book coming! That's always good to hear. I will pray for Helen. As always I so enjoy your trips and scenery and those adorable, happy grands. Makes my day brighter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reminds me of my childhood. There were six of us and my parents could not afford to fly us all of us between California and Texas, so we did long trips all the time. Time is so precious now, I fly everywhere. Maisie is going to love her present and the book looks fabulous already!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So special to be able to make Maisie a quilt with her favorite themed fabric for her birthday, I am sure Judy will quilt it to perfection. So hope Larry's cousin makes a good recovery. You left a nice comment on my blog, but it came through as a "no reply" email address:( Not sure why, as I am sure that has not been the case with your previous comments?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do tell how a dandelion is used to see what time it is in fairyland?

    Now I have a story to tell. I was reading some March 2000 UK Country Life magazines. One had book listed I honed in on. Beatriz Potter at Home in the Lake District by Susan Denyer. I know you are finished with the Peter project but I was wondering if you had used that book in your research? the summary mentioned the 4,000 acres that Beatrix left the National Trust and the 14 farms and 20 houses.... she was very well off!!!!!! or so it would seem.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for dropping by and sharing in my journey. And thanks especially for your lovely comments….I may not always respond (especially if there is no email address) but please know you are appreciated x