Tuesday 25 April 2017

A quiet Anzac Day

Today is a very special day for Australia and New Zealand - it is Anzac Day, a public holiday where we remember those who sacrificed their lives for all of us so that we might live in peace. Sadly our world still can't live in peace and the future is uncertain. For me personally it is a quiet day of reflection especially for my late Dad. I found this photo of Dad in his airforce uniform taken in April 1949, four years after the war had ended so I wonder if it was in fact taken on Anzac Day before or after the march......
That very same day I have a photo of my late Mum as well........how it must have been a relief that war was over...........
Our hallway is covered in Dad's pictures and I know he would be very proud that I still meet with David Leicester (DFC with bar), and a few widows at our regular Pathfinder lunches. David was a Squadron leader at the age of 20 and only two weeks ago I learnt that he had just received France's highest decoration - the Legion of Honour. I also found out that my own Dad could have also received this if he was still alive. But I share in my pride of knowing David Leicester seen here at the Parade grounds and the new Bomber Command tribute at home........
Dad was a part of Bomber Command in 582 Pathfinder Squadron and his survival is truly miraculous. 55,573 were killed out of a total of 125,000 aircrew (a 44.4% death rate), so I am so grateful that I had many years with him. Dad made sure I had a copy of his memorabilia including his escape maps and ID, his log book and his personal journal that he completed in later years of life. His first entry in his log book is January 11th 1943 and the last March 27th 1945. It must have been an incredibly long two years. The most devastating entry is from February 23rd 1945 where he logs the Pforzheim bombing. Some of his entry says....."Attacked by fighter on target. Controls seriously damaged. Kite got out of control and baled out. Skipper went in with kite". The skipper was Captain Ted Swales who saved his crew during this raid including my father. Posthumously Captain Swales was awarded a  Victoria Cross and each day I am reminded of him on my wall.......
 Dad recalls on the back of his crew photo that they did not like having their photo taken before an operation because more often than not the crew that were photographed never returned home. So superstition was put aside for this photo and sadly their superstition came true as they were shot down on that very night with Ted being killed..............





We also remember those who are serving in own our forces today and hope that wars like this never happen again. So it is nice to have a quiet day at home as I am still extremely fatigued after our busy days at the quilt convention. I was glad that Bernina took some close-up photos of my quilts on their stand for my records....




 and one of yours truly too!
Easter was only just over a week ago and how the little ones are growing so fast....but that didn't stop the egg hunt......
 It was lovely having the entire family at home and after lunch it was nice to see Beau and Maisie playing quietly in "their" little room.........
 I was just sorry we didn't get a photo of all the family together but Emily did get me to take this one on her phone......


 I also have some photos from our trip to Linhay Gallery on Easter Saturday in Auburn to see the costume display alongside some of my quilts. Auburn is in the lovely Clare Valley and the old buildings remind us of the past........












 Very appropriate for today......





 Below is the restored barn of Linhay Gallery with just a few images of the display.........











 Thanks for dropping by.........and Lest we Forget.......

4 comments:

  1. War has such memories for the people that fight them. My dad "missed" WWII by a couple years being too young at the time to join up - something he always fussed about. But one of his older brothers served just about the entire war in a prisoner of war camp in the Phillipines and survived the Bataan Death March after 4 years he came home skin and bones - I didn't see him like that of course not being born until 1952 but have seen photos - he rarely ever spoke of his experiences but a few years ago when traveling we came across some of his military things in a military museum in Georgia of all places - we had no clue his items were there and just went from display to display reading and taking photos of things. Evidently in his last years a the museum got in touch with remaining WWII vets asking if they had things to share in displays and he gave them his things as he and his only child were not close and she wouldn't have wanted his things - how sad - but how nice for us to see his things finally. (he lived far from us so rarely saw him but loved visits with him when they came to see us)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got goosebumps reading about your Dad's experiences. I lost my grandfather who was in the British navy in World War II and he is buried in England..a dream of mine to visit his grave. Newfoundlanders(Newfoundland was not a part of Canada at that time) fought side by side with Australians and New Zealanders at Gallipoli in World War I; a great uncle of mine among them. My father fought in the Korean War so there has been lots of service in my family. I am always sentimental reading about those war times. You are kind of lucky to have so many items to serve the memories and imagine he would have earned the Legion of Honour. Wonderful.
    So many lovely photos to look at and that is a great one of you!
    Btw, I enjoyed reading Karen's comment as well. So many great and interesting stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel lucky to have all these memories especially so that Beau can keep them. He is already so interested in it all and I just wish dad was here to share it in person......he would be so proud. And as you know the Canadians and Australians were very close......Dad trained for some time in Summerside Prince Edward Island for his role as Navigator of the huge Lancaster's. One of his crew was Canadian (Ontario), and they remained friends for life. Sorry I still can't email you a reply direct Jocelyn x

      Delete
  3. My dad was in the army during WW II, but never saw actions because he was training men when first joining the Army. This was in Puerto Rico - his command of Spanish and leadership skills kept him there to his frustration. That's what happens when your good at what you do. He was finally sent to the Pacific, but the war ended while his battalion was on its way there. God bless on Anzac Day.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for dropping by and sharing in my journey. And thanks especially for your lovely comments….I may not always respond (especially if there is no email address) but please know you are appreciated x