Friday 24 March 2017

On this day....and tomorrow

It was on this day in 1834 that William Morris was born.....and tomorrow will be the day that his daughter May was born (28 years later in 1862) - two talented designers that are still relevant and popular today. So what better way to celebrate William Morris' birthday than with a new Morris & Co quilt cover and pillow covers in the Strawberry Thief design and the big bonus was that the store had a wonderful 30% off too........thankyou Larry - we get to pick it all up early next week........

This all came about via a text message a couple of days ago from a friend. She was standing in the David Jones store in the city and sent me some photos, so with a quick check online and approval from Larry it was ordered in a flash! Lucky me and what a great way to celebrate William Morris and his birthday! While looking at the store's website I discovered that Morris & Co. rugs were also on sale but that will have to wait for a another day - but which one to choose?? All the following photos are from the same David Jones website in the photo source link above.......
There is much happening in the world of William and May Morris but sadly living in Australia we will miss out on much of it. There are two sold out William Morris textile workshops being held at the William Morris Society in the UK next week and at the William Morris Gallery there are lectures and a family day to celebrate Morris's birthday. Later in the year there will also be a wonderful May Morris exhibition running from October to January 2018. And of course the long awaited opening of the newly restored home of Emery Walker happens very soon. The Arts & Crafts Hammersmith website is well worth a visit. Morris & Co's Blog here had this beautiful film to celebrate "William Morris' 183rd Birthday".......

And on their Facebook website you could win one of these stunning cushions to celebrate his birthday.....
And the William Morris Society of Canada always celebrates this occasion with a magnificent birthday cake. You can see some of them here on this short film.....

But this year's cake is yet to be revealed as it is early morning in Canada and late evening here. So today while all the celebrations overseas are in the making we had a special visit to see Beau celebrate his very first sports day. I have many photos of him performing but they are with other children so I am not really able to share them here....so for now just him in his team colours of the Victorious Vikings.....

 The Woodend Primary School is in a lovely setting with lots of trees which we were thankful for on this hot day. They are also a school that participates in the Stephanie Alexander Kitchen Garden program and I found lots of recipes on that link too. Miss Maisie had fun on the play equipment and there was even a castle to play in......... 

 Love this colourful 'bully free zone' buddy seat........


 Today I received two wonderful packages in the mail........a beautiful gift from a dear friend who wants to remain anonymous 😃 She follows the blog and knew the colours of the room where I sit each evening. It is a beautifully framed sampler so it is now displayed above an old silver purse that belonged to my late Nan. It was my late 60th birthday present and how special that it arrived on Morris' birthday too (and the maker knows how much I love it xx).......


 And the book I was waiting for arrived in the mail today too. So I will need to get busy before Maisie's 3rd birthday in July!.....happy days and Happy Birthday William Morris and May!


4 comments:

  1. you are busy as always and show such wonderful beautiful pieces. I think all parks/schools need a bully free bench - what a wonderful idea. The stitchery you show is well done nice gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dont know how you resisted a WM rug, I wanted to immediately pull up all my carpets so I could have a different rug in each rooM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much goodness squeezed into each post you write, Michele. I want to name all I loved but it would be too long. Suffice it to say, I enjoyed your photos so much and thanks for taking the time to share such well rounded little missives. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought the rug might look nice in my lounge, but then I went to the website, and now I don't think so!!

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for dropping by and sharing in my journey. And thanks especially for your lovely comments….I may not always respond (especially if there is no email address) but please know you are appreciated x