Wednesday 19 November 2014

A humble moment

Today has been an extra special day for me as I travelled to Canberra to meet a stranger! It all began back in August when I received an email from the convener of the Canberra Quilters' quilt show to tell me a gentleman had expressed interest in purchasing my 2013 Best of Show quilt………
Well that was a thrill in itself but then when I found out who the man was I began to feel quite overwhelmed. Peter Travis is an artist, designer, colour expert and collector of art. (and also the designer of the infamous Speedos 'budgie smugglers'!!). So today was the day to deliver the quilt in person. With my luck of losing quilts in transit I decided to use up all my flyer points and deliver it in person. Down side of using points is that I have seen four cities in one day! Adelaide to Melbourne, then Melbourne to Canberra, Canberra to Sydney and now waiting to go home via Sydney…..it has been a very long day! I only found out in the last couple of weeks that Peter was also responsible for the colours of Parliament House Canberra! If you click on this link HERE and scroll to the bottom of the page you can watch a video interview with him……amazing! So today we met in person and the quilt has a special wall all ready for the quilt to be hung amongst many more collectable works of art. Preparation took a few hours at home last night with pockets and rods and a brand new label for the brand new owner. So farewell from home and then waiting in Canberra………..
 I was lucky to be picked up by Jenny Bowker as I only had 45 minutes with Peter (thankyou so much Jenny)…..and here is our memorable photo and you can see in the background Peter already has another quilt in his possession. I am chuffed to bits and incredibly humbled to have someone of his calibre admire and want a piece of my work….still saying WOW!!…..
 I left Canberra airport in a state of awe and wonder…….it is hard to say in words how I feel so instead I will leave you with some images of my day of airports……...



WOW!!! How lucky am I?

13 comments:

  1. An honor for you ... and a well deserved one!

    For me it was lovely to have another look at the masterpiece over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you Michele that you are recognised as an artist of merit. You go girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Michele. You make the most beautiful quilts. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. And to think we are friends! We knew you before you were famous. Very proud of you darling

    ReplyDelete
  5. Recognition of quilting as ART is so wonderful for you. It is a wonderful photo with a colourful character. I hope he treasures your work as much as we do. Such well deserved recognition-congratulations-it is a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. so pleased we got to see it one last time. A man of obviously refined, good taste wil, I am sure, treasure this wonderful piece of art . Though i really don't know how you can bear to part with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. congratulations! it is an honor to correspond with you now and then via blogs! My attempt at one of your quilts will never equal yours :) you do such spectacular work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations Michelle! How fantastic, and a very well deserved acknowledgement of you talent and skill.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How exciting, Michele. He is a lucky man to have one of your gorgeous quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the video link on the colours of Parliament House, I shall watch Question Time with renewed interest now :) It must have been quite a tiring day, and perhaps a bit sad to say goodbye to one of your quilts, but it has gone to a great home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely thrilling Michele, a just reward of recognition for your long term commitment to both Quilting & William. Congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  12. A well deserved honor, Michele. I am thrilled for you. It is such a fabulous quilt that I am glad it was purchased by someone who will cherish it. Again, congrats! And thanks for sharing those fab sculptures at the airports. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations Michele, what a well deserved honour.Jenny

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for dropping by and sharing in my journey. And thanks especially for your lovely comments….I may not always respond (especially if there is no email address) but please know you are appreciated x